The Horse & Hound’s impressive indoor and outdoor wedding venue space is optimal for hosting an entire destination wedding weekend in New Hampshire’s rustic White Mountains. An equidistant drive from Boston, Portland or Burlington, your guests will enjoy all the outdoor activities of Franconia Notch with easy access to airports. The wedding party (or entire micro wedding) can stay in our on-site accommodations that consist of a historic and recently renovated 12-bedroom New England lodge on eight private acres.
A large outdoor terrace with complimentary lawn games for your guests is available for your rehearsal dinner. For your ceremony, you have multiple picturesque ceremony locations for both indoor and outdoor weddings. While your guests enjoy the garden and charming greenhouse during cocktail hour, you can take advantage of the venue’s many phenomenal wedding photo op spots, including, among the sugar maples, the bridge over the babbling brook or in front of the 3 working fireplaces. Looking for an intimate micro wedding? Enjoy the cozy, exposed-beam dining room. Having a larger event? Make it an elegant affair by hosting a tented outdoor reception in our gardens. The large parking lot across the street from the Horse & Hound provides an easy drop off and turnaround spot for busses and plenty of parking for driving wedding guests.
Want to travel off-site? Within a five minute drive on quiet country roads, you’ll find many great rehearsal dinner options and a historic church. There are also a variety of local accommodations and lodging options for your guests that are not staying at the Horse & Hound.
Each season brings a splendor all its own in this ruggedly beautiful corner of New England. The New Hampshire Fall is truly spectacular at the Horse & Hound. But consider the lovely flowers of the late Spring, the verdant Summer and cozy late Fall and Winter. The Horse & Hound is truly a White Mountains wedding venue for every season.
The Horse & Hound is also steeped in a rich history. The Horse & Hound began as a farmhouse in the 1830s. In the 1940s, wealthy Wall Street financier transformed the property into an inn using an English fox hunting estate as inspiration. The Horse & Hound catered to an exclusive A-list crowd from Boston, New York and Philadelphia and was marketed as “a country inn with a country club atmosphere.” The dazzle continued through the 1960s and the après ski parties at the Horse & Hound were legendary.
After passing through a number of owners and iterations, the Horse & Hound was recently renovated and restored to resemble the original 1940s New England lodge. The Horse & Hound is currently owned by three childhood friends and their families. We enjoy the property together, especially skiing at neighboring Cannon mountain in the winter. And although we appreciate the history of the Horse & Hound, our goal as a wedding venue is to be the opposite of exclusive. We hope that couples of all types will consider the Horse & Hound as a wedding venue. Anyone who will appreciate the rich history of the Horse & Hound, love the craftsmanship and quality of property, or take advantage of the amazing outdoor activities of the area.
12 bedrooms14 bathrooms
The Horse & Hound is a historic and recently renovated New England style lodge with original hardwood floors and custom made furniture.
The lodge is perfect for hosting your wedding party or your entire micro-wedding on-site. Upstairs, up to 24 guests can stay in the 12 guest rooms, which are furnished with solid maple furniture hand made by local New Hampshire craftsmen. Linens and towels are 100% cotton and blankets are 100% Pendleton wool. Seven of the bedrooms have private bathrooms plus there are two two-room suites that share a bathroom.
Downstairs, you’ll find a large comfortable living area with fireplace, a cozy but spacious library, bar area with fireplace, dining room with fireplace and large industrial kitchen. There are an additional five half baths downstairs in the lodge. The downstairs can also be used as an indoor wedding venue.
High speed Internet is available throughout the building. Air conditioning is provided in the warmer months.
Prices vary by season
Venue Rental Policies
- Event End Time: 11 pm
- Smoking Policy: No smoking on the property.
- Open Flame Policy: No flame candles in the historical home. Fireplaces can only be used in the Winter for safety reasons.
- Pet Policy: Pets of the wedding couple permitted on a case-by-case basis. Only allowed on the property during the ceremony only and must remain outdoors.
- Decorations: No tape, staples or adhesives used on any indoor structures.
- Fireworks: Not permitted.
- Trash and Recycling: Couples must consolidate in designated on-site cans.
- Parking: No parking on the road.
- Noise: Amplified music must be lowered by 10:30 PM.
- Alcohol: Renters must comply with all local laws regarding alcohol service. Minimum requirements include purchasing and serving alcohol through a New Hampshire licensed and insured caterer in accordance with state law.
- Day of Coordinator: Events over 25 require at least a Day of Coordinator to manage event for the entire duration. Inquire for our list of suggested event coordinators.
- Tents: Any wedding over 55 people must be outdoors. Outdoor venues require tent reservations to ensure adequate rain plan.
- Outside Vendors: Outside vendors are allowed so as long as they are licensed and insured and are pre-approved by the venue.
- Security Deposit: Security Deposit is required. Inquire for more details.
- Event Insurance: Renters must secure a minimum of $1M Special Event Liability Insurance policy within 30 days of their event.
- Cleaning Fee: Couples will be held accountable for a cleaning fee. Price is dependent on the event. Inquire for more information.
- Restrooms: Additional restrooms must be rented for any tented wedding over 65 people. Couples must rent a minimum of 1 restroom per 50 guests.
House Rental Policies
Check in is between 12-6PM (or with other arrangements), Check out is by 3PM.
The Horse & Hound must be fully booked for a minimum of two nights but longer stays are available for an additional fee. The nightly fee listed applies if the rooms are paid for by check in one lump sum. If guests book their own rooms online, a small service fee will apply.
Meals and cleaning during the stay is not included, but can be arranged for an additional fee.
The Inn is non-smoking (including cigarettes, pipes, vaping, cigars and incense)
Sorry, no pets allowed!